Gutersloh, West Germany Craftsman Craig Smith

Craftsman Craig Smith. Aged 18. 26 Regiment Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers. Died on 31st August 2005. When the Land rover he was a passenger in, crashed in Germany. Three young soldiers died instantly at the road side, all were resuscitated at the scene. Sadly all later died in Hospital.

Craftsman Craig Smiths mother Julie Said. All my son Craig ever wanted to do was join the army, after leaving school, He was almost 17 years old, when he enlisted into the Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers. I was so proud and also saddened to see him go, as he set off, to the Army technical foundation college at Arborfield where he was due to start his basic training on the 8th September 2003. In May and June 2004 he moved to Prince Phillip Barracks at Borden where he was doing a recovery mechanic course, in July 2005 he was posted to Mansergh Barracks Gutersloh, West Germany, he was there 2 weeks and then came home on leave, we were all so happy to see him home again safe and well. His home leave went so fast. At the end of his leave we drove him to the airport to go back to his unit in Germany. That was the last time any of us saw him alive.

It was the 31st August 2005 when my Son Craig and 2 other passengers. Gunner Kenneth Laga Royal Artillery Aged 21 and Craftsman Craig Atkinson Aged 19 set off to go the Princess Royal Barracks Medical Centre in a land rover. While on route to the medical centre the driver of the vehicle lost control and smashed into a tree, he survived the crash but the 3 passengers didn't, all were resuscitated at the scene of the accident, and transferred to different hospitals in Germany. Sadly all died later the same day. He was only 18 years old.

My Son Craftsman Craig Smith.


26 Regiment Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers was returned home to me exactly 2 years to the day when he'd started his basic training.

A memorial was erected and maintained of the scene of the fatal crash by a Mr Jorg Weltzer a German civilian in memory of the three young soldiers who died on that tragic day (31st August 2005) on the Brockhagener Strasse in Gutersloh, West Germany