King's Regiment

The Kings Regiment Memorial at the back of St Georges Hall in Liverpool for those Killed Northern Ireland


The former City Soldiers gallery at the Museum of Liverpool Life presented the life and history of the King's Regiment through film, video, memoirs and an extensive collection of uniforms, medals, trophies and weaponry. The King's is one of Britain's oldest regiments, created in 1685. It has been Liverpool's regiment since 1881 and is now joined with the Manchester Regiment. Over the centuries it has been a way of life for thousands of men, during peace and war. Members of the regiment have served in two world wars, in Asia, Africa, America and Ireland.


Cpl Alan Buckley. Aged 22. Shot dead on the Whiterock Road, Ballymurphy in West Belfast on the 13.05.1972.

Kingsman Eustace Hanley. Aged 20. Shot dead by a sniper while on foot patrol in Springhill Avenue, Ballymurphy, West Belfast on the 23.05.1972.

Kingsman Marcel Doglay. Aged 28. Killed when a time bomb exploded at the Springfield Road Police Station on the 30.05.1972.

Kingsman James Jones. Aged 18. Shot dead by a sniper while on duty at the Vere Foster School, New Barnsley Estate, West Belfast on the 18.07.1972.

Kingsman Brian Thomas. Aged 20. Shot dead by a sniper at the Vere Foster School, New Barnsley Estate West Belfast on the 24.07.1972.

Kingsman Rennie Layfield. Aged 24. Shot dead by a sniper while manning a Vehicle Check Point at the junction of the Falls Road Beech Mount Avenue,  West Belfast on the 18.08.1972.

Kingsman Roy Christopher. Aged 20. Injured in a bomb attack while on foot patrol in Cupar Street, West Belfast. He Died 12 days later in Hospital on the 30.08.1972.

Kingsman Christopher Shanley. Aged 21. Ambushed and shot dead by snipers while on mobile patrol in Glenalina Crescent, Ballymurphy, West Belfast on the 11.04.1979, L/Cpl Steven Rumble was also Injured in this attack . 

[ Kingsman Christopher Shanley ]

L/Cpl Stephen Rumble. Aged 19. Ambushed and injured in the attack by snipers which claimed the life of Kingsman Christopher Shanley, in Glenalina Crescent, Ballymurphy West Belfast. L/Cpl Rumble died of his injuries in hospital 9 days later on the 19.04.1979

L/Cpl Andrew Webster Aged 20. While passing a derelict block of flats in Norglen Gardens in Turf Lodge , Belfast. A bomb had been hidden in the flats and as the foot patrol passed by, it was electrically detonated Killing L/Cpl Webster on the 9.05.1979. Andrew was a member of 1st Battalion Kings Regiment he is still thought of by his old friends including Kingsman Gary Phillips Why have a look at Gary Phillips (Independent Kings Regiment Association) website ...

[ L/Cpl Andrew Webster ]

Kingsman Stephen Beacham. Aged 20 - 24.10.1990 L/Cpl Stephen Burrows. Aged 30 - 24.10.1990 Kingsman Vincent Scott. Aged 21 - 24.10.1990 Kingsman David Sweeney. Aged 19 - 24.10.1990 Kingsman Paul Worrall. Aged 23 - 24.10.1990

[ Paul Desmond Worrall ]

After all the hullabaloo of a military funeral was over and all the media frenzy had died down I was alone again, but more so.  Now I was left with a heart full of feelings I didn't know what to do with because I hadn't felt this way before. My family looked to me to keep things going because that's what I had always done in times of crisis; this time was different, this time I was asking 'What about me?' Who keeps me going?

Mr Patrick Gillespie. Aged 42. A catholic civilian was tied into a van and forced by armed gunmen to drive the van loaded with explosives to the Permanent Vehicle Check point in Buncranna Road , Coshquinn, near Londonderry, As he pulled into the Checkpoint the van bomb was detonated killing Mr Gillespie. And the above five soldiers of the Kings Regiment.

'Proxy Bomb' Attacks The Irish Republican Army (IRA) launched three bomb attacks at British Army check points. The attacks became know as 'proxy bombs' or 'human bombs' because three Catholic men, whom the IRA claimed had worked for the security forces, were tied into cars which had been loaded with explosives and ordered to drive to the check points. At the Coshquin checkpoint near Londonderry five soldiers and the man who was forced to drive the car were all killed. In a second attack, at Killeen near Newry, a soldier Ranger Cyril Smith. Aged 21 was killed. The third bomb, that had been driven to Omagh, County Tyrone, failed to detonate. The attacks resulted in widespread outrage. The Protestant Action Force (PAF) shot and killed a Catholic taxi driver, Francis Hughes, near Moy, County Tyrone.