Royal Military Police Iraq


[ National Arboretum ]

[ National Arboretum ]

RMP Memorial National Arboretum (Right & Above)

British fatalities were repatriated to RAF Brize Norton

Brize Repatriation

Brize Repatriation

Royal Military Police

RMP Capbadge


Royal Military Police

Major Matthew Titchener

Major Matthew Titchener, the Officer Commanding 150 Provost Company, Royal Military Police, was killed during an attack by gunmenon a British Army vehicle in Basrah on 23 August 2003. Matt Titchener, aged 32 from Southport, Merseyside, was married to Raqual for almost 6 years and they have a two and a half year old son called Matheson. Raqual is expecting their second child in December.  He was commissioned into the 1st Battalion the King's Regiment in April 1992 and served world-wide including; Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Jordan, Egypt and Canada. He also served as an Instructor at the Infantry Training Centre at Catterick and Strensall and commanded 26 Cadet Training Team in Manchester. In May 1999 he transferred to the Royal Military Police. His appointments included Adjutant 6 RMP, Northern Ireland, Officer Commanding 170 Pro Coy RMP in Edinburgh and most recently as Officer Commanding150 Pro Coy 3 RMP based in Catterick, North Yorkshire. Matt was an officer of the very highest calibre. He was an intelligent, highly motivated and dedicated leader. He set the highest of standards and successfully ensured that all who came within his influence were inspired by his strength of character, sense of humour and compassion.  His main passions outside Army life were his family and football. He was a talented football player, qualified referee and manager of the RMP football team. He was also an ardent fan of Liverpool Football Club.  His wife Raqual (spelt thus) said: "Matt was a perfect husband and a brilliant Dad. He was delighted at the thought of being a Dad again. He died doing a job he was  proud of and was professional to the very end." His Mum and Dad, Val and Fred, and brothers and sister, Timothy, Daniel and Rebecca, said: "Matt was a loving son who we are really proud of. Words cannot describe how much we will miss him." His Second in Command, Captain Sean O'Brien said: "Matt was a highly talented and motivated Officer who was liked and respected by all who knew him. His untimely death is a blow to all in the RMP family, but particularly to those who worked closely with him here in Catterick. It was a pleasure to have known him and he will be sorely missed both personally and professionally. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, parents and family at this difficult time."

Royal Military Police

Warrant Officer Colin Wall

Hundreds of mourners gathered on Thursday to pay their last respects at St Thomas's Church in Stanhope.

Warrant Officer Colin Wall, the Company Sergeant Major of 150 Provost Company, Royal Military Police, was killed during an attack by gunmen on a British Army vehicle in Basrah on 23 August 2003. Colin Wall aged 34, from Crawleyside, County Durham, was married to Trish for almost 8 years and they have an 11 month old son called Alexander. Colin also has two other children from a previous marriage to Isabella: a daughter Lauren, 12, and a son Robert, 10.



He enlisted into the Army as a Junior Leader soldier in Bovington in September 1985 and subsequently joined the RMP. He served in Belize. Germany, Canada, Northern Ireland and England. He also completed operational tours of duty in Kosovo and Iraq.  Colin was a highly focused and professional soldier. His calm and measured approach commanded respect and admiration from all who knew him. He was immensely proud of the role he played within the RMP, in particular as the Company Sergeant Major. His first priority was always the morale and motivation of the men and women in his care. His main passions outside army life were his family, walking his dogs, and 'tinkering' with and restoring cars. Colin's Mum and Dad, Barry and Joan said: "Colin was a loving son and we are very proud of him. He loved his family and enjoyed spending time walking in the Weardales." The Second in Command of 150 Provost Company, Captain Sean O'Brien said: "Colin was the epitome of a Company Sergeant Major and made a real difference to the operational effectiveness of the Company. His untimely death is a blow to all in the RMP family and to all those who worked closely with him here in Catterick. He had many friends in the Company and will be sorely missed by all who knew him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, parents and family at this difficult time."

The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales have attended the dedication of the new national Armed Forces Memorial. Friday 12th October 2007

Five-year-old Alex Wall from Norfolk inspects the memorial.  He wears the medals of his father, Warrant Officer Colin Wall of the Royal Military Police, who was killed in Iraq in 2003.


Royal Military Police

Corporal Dewi Pritchard

A Territorial Army soldier serving with 116 Provost Company (Volunteers), Royal Military Police, he was killed during an attack by gunmen on a British Army vehicle in Basrah on 23 August 2003. Corporal Pritchard, aged 35, was married with two children and came from Bridgend.  Lieutenant Colonel House, the Commanding Officer of 4th Regiment Royal Military Police, said: "All of us within the Regiment and across the Royal Military Police are devastated by the news and our thoughts are with all the families at this time, and in particular Dewi's wife Tracey and their two young children, Kira and Ethan. "4th Regiment RMP is a truly composite regiment of Regular and Territorial Army personnel. The Regiment deployed personnel to Iraq and Kuwait in June 2003. Regular and Territorial soldiers have stood side-by-side, facing hardship and danger together. In early August, members of the Regiment, including Corporal Pritchard, came under the command of 3rd Regiment RMP, and have continued the vital work of restoring law and order in the region. We should all be very proud of the contribution that all the deployed members of our Regiment have made. They have displayed true heroism, professionalism and dedication in bringing help and assistance to the people of Iraq. Corporal Dewi Pritchard epitomised everything that we hold dear in the Royal Military Police. "Dewi Pritchard was a very popular and loyal member of the Territorial Army. He joined the RMP in 1996, and from the outset of his service was an outstanding Junior Non-Commissioned Officer. He was awarded the Provost Marshal's Gold Whistle & Chain for Best Recruit on his course, and had continued to show true professionalism and dedication throughout his time in the Royal Military Police. He was promoted to Corporal in 1999, and was committed to his TA career. Corporal Pritchard was mobilised for service in Iraq, and sadly paid the ultimate price for his service to Queen and Country. He will be greatly missed by his colleagues, all of whom held him in the highest regard.

"As soldiers we never forget our comrades who are no longer by our side. We can only hope to uphold their example when it is necessary to do so. Today, his colleagues in Iraq continue their mission. Our prayers and thoughts are also with them."

Photo by John Sweeney...  Ex Sgt RMP President, Coventry and Warwickshire Branch RMPA

The Royal Military Police Collect Almighty God, by whose grace we are called to positions of responsibility and trust, bless, we pray Thee, all members of the Royal Military Police and those who have previously served in the Corps of the Royal Military Police. Inspire them to courage and wisdom, courtesy and faithfulness: grant them a true knowledge of Thy will that they may guide their comrades aright: that by serving others in Justice and mercy they may also serve Thee and so become worthy of their calling.

Royal Military Police

Sergeant Simon Alexander Hamilton-Jewel

Sergeant Simon Alexander Hamilton-Jewell was killed in action in southern Iraq on 24 June whilst serving with 156 Provost Company, Royal Military Police. Aged 41, he came from Chessington in Surrey, and was single.  Sergeant Hamilton-Jewell was known to his friends as 'HJ'. The Platoon Sergeant of the Parachute Provost Platoon, he joined the Army in August 1988 and joined 156 Provost Company in March 2002. He had previously served as a soldier in the Territorial Army from 1979 to 1988. He had served in Germany and the UK, and on operations in Northern Ireland, Sarajevo and Sudan, as well as on exercise in Kenya, Poland and France. As well as being a trained military parachutist, Simon Hamilton-Jewell was a qualified HGV driving instructor, and practiced martial arts. His mother, Teresa, and brother, Tony, said of him: "A nod, a wink or a smile; one hundred per cent human being, dedicated to life in full. He was a man keen to help anybody; a fearless man, biker, hiker and climber. But above all, a man dedicated to the Army, his Regiment, his unit and to his comrades. He gave twenty years of service defending others, in so many locations and was a selfless, ultra-fit man to the last. A son and brother beyond belief, 'H-J', 'Hammy' or Simon all meant the same - a top man, friend and soldier. A man's man, and a soldier's soldier. He was a very human person who will be dearly missed for the rest of our lives. For a soldier never afraid to do his duty - we love and miss you. God bless. "In our own grief at the loss of Simon, we are also remembering his colleagues who died with him, and offer our sympathy and condolences to their families and friends. "We are both very grateful for the dedicated and caring support that so many ranks and agencies of the Army have given to us and the rest of Simon's direct family, without which managing would have been so much harder. Sergeant Hamilton-Jewell's funeral was held in Aldershot on 21 July.

Royal Military Police

Corporal Russell Aston


[ Paygan and her Mummy Anna Aston ]


Paygan and her Mummy Anna Aston after receiving the Elizabeth Cross and Scroll in memory of the Late Cpl Russell Aston Royal Military Police KIA Iraq 24th June 2003.

Paygan ... Above in her Daddy's arms, now aged 8 (August 8th 2010)

[ Paygan Aston ]


Paygan Aston Laying flowers on her daddies memorial stone in the Palace Barracks Memorial Garden August 8th 2010. The stone is also dedicated to Five of his comrades who were also KIA along side him in Iraq on the 24th June 2003

Paygan Aston the daughter of the late Cpl Russell Aston Royal Military Police Killed in Action in Iraq on the 24th June 2003 along with five of his comrades with his poppy cross in London November 2009

[ Paygan Aston the daughter of the late Cpl Russell Aston ]

[ Paygan age 8 and Mum Anna ]

Paygan age 8 and Mum Anna Aston the family of Cpl Russ Aston.

Corporal Russell Aston was killed in action in southern Iraq on 24 June whilst serving with 156 Provost Company, Royal Military Police. Aged 30, he came from Swadlincote, Derbyshire, and was married with one daughter. Russ Aston was the company physical training instructor and enjoyed an active social life within the unit. He joined the Army in 1993 and was posted to 156 Provost Company in March 2001 after service with the Grenadier Guards. Corporal Aston was military parachute trained, and had served in Macedonia and Northern Ireland and on operations in Kenya.

His wife Anna, and parents Glenice and Mike, issued the following statement: "Russ was a very handsome man who was loved by everyone who knew him. He was such a kind and special person with a smashing sense of humour, he could get on with anyone he met. He was a doting father who had lots and lots of friends. When he walked into a room he filled it with his height and presence. "He loved his life in the Army. He was very fit and sporty. He recently ran 31 miles to raise funds for Gresley Rovers, a local junior football team, to provide them with kit. When he was in the Grenadier Guards, he was a physical training instructor and in fact when he passed his Army Training Course, he was commended as the Best Physical Training Cadet. "He loved animals, was a caring person and although he looked tough, had a heart of gold and was loving and sensitive." 

Royal Military Police

Corporal Paul Graham Long

Corporal Paul Graham Long was killed in action in southern Iraq on 24 June whilst serving with 156 Provost Company, Royal Military Police. Aged 24, he came from Colchester in Essex. Born in Portsmouth, Paul Long attended Blackmoor C of E Primary School and All Hallows RC Comprehensive in Aldershot, before moving to South Shields where he attended Hebburn College. He joined the Regular Army in April 1999, having served two years with the Territorial Army, and was posted to 156 Provost Company in March 2000. A member of the Parachute Provost Platoon, he was a qualified radio operator.  This was his first operational deployment. Paul was a dedicated soldier who loved his work. His mother Patricia Long, supported by her other two children and other family members, said that, "the Army was his life." A requiem was held at a Roman Catholic church in South Shields on 4 July, after which his brother and sister, Byron and Maria, paid the following tribute: "Our brother, Paul Graham Long, known affectionately by all his family, friends and Army colleagues as Paul, joined the Royal Military Police in 1999. He wanted only to help others less fortunate than himself. "Paul leaves behind a loving wife Gemma and a baby son of 11 months, Benjamin David, and our devoted mother Patricia. Paul, who was loved dearly and will be sadly missed, died doing what he did best: helping others". "Our hearts and prayers go out to the families and friends of all the Royal Military Police killed in Iraq." 

Royal Military Police

Corporal Simon Miller

Simon sunbathing in Al Amarah in 2003

Corporal Simon Miller was killed in action in southern Iraq on 24 June whilst serving with 156 Provost Company, Royal Military Police. Aged 21, he came from Washington in Tyne and Wear, and was engaged to be married. Simon Miller joined the Army in January 2000 and was posted to 156 Provost Company after passing the RMP junior non-commissioned officers course at Chichester. A qualified radio operator, he had served with 1 PARA on a deployment to Kenya. His parents, John and Marilyn Miller said: "Simon had a real zest for life and was a keen sportsman. He gained his black belt in Karate when he was only twelve years old and then decided to concentrate on getting to the top in football. "He represented both junior and senior school at football and in the last two years he captained the team. He was picked to represent the Durham and Chester-le-Street district team selected from all the schools in the area. He also played for several local teams including Washington Boys. "At 12 years old, he attended Sunderland AFC School of Excellence. Later, he had trials for Cambridge United and he went to the teams ground regularly for training before deciding to join the Army and become a Red Cap. But he continued to play football for his unit, 156 Pro Company, and for the Royal Military Police team. "He loved the Army and was one hundred per cent a policeman in every sense of the word, committed to his job. He had great courage and was not afraid to stand his ground. "He has an older brother, Jon, and through Simon's encouragement, Jon has just this week completed his NCOs' course at the RMP Training School in Chichester. "Simon was promoted to Corporal just before he left for Iraq and we were all really proud of him. He also loved motorbikes and rode an Army motorbike out in Iraq as well as having his own back in the UK.

"He was due to finish his tour in July and planned to marry when he returned home. He was our life - he was a lovely lad and very close to his family and fiancée. Words can't describe how much we all love him and miss him."

Royal Military Police

Lance-Corporal Benjamin John McGowan Hyde

Lance-Corporal Benjamin John McGowan Hyde was killed in action in southern Iraq on 24 June whilst serving with 156 Provost Company, Royal Military Police. Aged 23, he came from Northallerton in Yorkshire and was single. Ben Hyde joined the Army in June 2001 and was posted to 156 Provost Company in March 2002, where he served with the Parachute Provost Platoon. A qualified radio operator, he was on his first operational tour. His father John issued the following statement: "Ben was an extremely charismatic person who lightened the mood whenever he walked into a room. All he ever wanted was to become a military policeman, and he worked very hard to become one. He was very career-minded, with bags of potential, and had been recommended for promotion early. "The red beret was all he ever wanted. It was his life, so he gave his life doing the job he loved most. He was also a loving son who will be sorely missed." 

Royal Military Police

Lance-Corporal Thomas Richard Keys

A Battle Cry A silent army of eighty eight now march forth from heavens gate. Fallen souls in far off land of blood, gore and desert sand. Many of us have now journeyed home blinded, maimed with shattered bone Our cry for justice heralds loud and clear. think of us and we will all be near The 'fallen' wonder, did we really have to die was it really for a tragic lie? Reg Keys

Lance-Corporal Thomas Richard Keys was killed in action in southern Iraq on 24 June whilst serving with 156 Provost Company, Royal Military Police. Aged 20, he came from Llanuwchllyn, near Bala in Wales, and was single. He joined the Army in August 1998, initially serving with 1st Battalion, The Parachute Regiment. He transferred to the RMP and joined 156 Provost Company in January 2002. He had served on operations in Sierra Leone and Northern Ireland and deployed to Jamaica on exercise. A popular soldier, Thomas was a fully trained paratrooper and physical training instructor who played football for the Company.  In his eulogy to Mr Keys, platoon commander Captain James Hibbert said: "Tom was an impressive guy - quietly self assured, frankly honest, fiercely loyal and ultimately strong. As a soldier and a policeman he was the consummate professional. He gave his all in everything he did and worked hard to get the job done no matter how menial the task. He wore his para wings with quiet pride and adored the camaraderie that can only be found in the army". "He was universally admired and respected by all ranks. The lads would always refer to him as a 'top bloke', the girls as 'an absolute darling'." A few days away from his 21st birthday, the soldier whose family live in Llanuwchllyn, near Bala in Gwynedd, was the youngest to die. 

His funeral service, with full military honours, was held at St John's Church in Barmouth on 14 July.

Royal Military Police

Staff Sergeant Denise Michelle Rose

Staff Sergeant Denise Michelle Rose of the Royal Military Police's Special Investigation Branch was found dead from a gunshot wound at the Army base in the Shatt-al-Arab Hotel, Basrah, on 31 October 2004. The incident is being investigated but is not thought to have been the result of hostile action. She was aged 34 and came from Liverpool. Denise joined the Royal Military Police in 1989, and trained as an SIB investigator in 1995, conducting investigations into serious incidents within the military in the UK and Cyprus. She deployed as a volunteer to Iraq on 27 September 2004, operating as part of a small team of specialist investigators to provide security for the people of Iraq and assist in the rebuilding of the country through the provision of a well trained police force. Lieutenant Colonel Robert Silk MBE, the Commanding Officer of her parent unit, the Special Investigation Branch (Germany) based at Rheindahlen, said: "This is a terrible shock for all her many comrades in the unit. She was doing so well in the Army, and had a bright future in front of her. Even more importantly, Denise had a multitude of friends, being universally popular, intelligent and ever cheerful. Her death is a tragic loss."  Our thoughts and prayers are very much with her family at this difficult time. They issued the following statement: "The family are struggling to come to terms with the tragic loss of Denise. We will always remember her as a fun loving girl who was the life and soul of the party. We are a very close family and Denise was adored by us all. We know that we speak not only on behalf of her family, but also of all her friends and colleagues, when we say that she will be missed terribly and will always remain in our hearts and thoughts.

Royal Military Police

[ Captain Ken Masters ]

Captain Ken Masters The body of Captain Ken Masters was discovered in his accommodation in Waterloo Lines, Basra, Iraq on Saturday 15 October 2005. Captain Masters was Officer Commanding 61 Section, Special Investigation Branch, Royal Military Police. He had been responsible for the investigation of all in-theatre serious incidents plus investigations conducted by the General Police Duties element of the Theatre Investigation Group. Ken Masters was aged 40, married with two children and had served with the Royal Military Police since 1981. He was commissioned from the ranks in 2001 and served most of his career with the Special Investigation Branch.

[ Corporal Christopher Read 3rd Regiment Royal Military Police ]

Corporal Christopher Read of 158 Provost Company, 3rd Regiment Royal Military Police, died as a result of injuries that he sustained during a large scale operation in the early hours of the morning, Saturday 7 July 2007.

Corporal Read, aged 22 and originally from Poole in Dorset, was injured by small arms fire whilst he was returning from a major operation to detain insurgents in Basra City. He was given immediate first aid and taken to the Field Hospital at the British base at Basra Air Station, but sadly died of his injuries during the night of Saturday 7 July 2007.

Lieutenant Colonel Simon Miller, Commanding Officer 3rd Regiment Royal Military Police, remembered Corporal Read:

"Corporal Chris Read was fatally injured on Saturday morning, 7th July, whilst extracting from an operation to detain insurgents in Basra City. Despite the valiant efforts of his team from 4th Battalion The Rifles who administered immediate first aid at the scene, and subsequently the doctors in the Field Hospital, Chris finally succumbed to his wounds on Saturday evening. The Regiment is heartbroken. Chris was just 22 years old. This was his second tour of Iraq; having joined 158 Provost Company direct from training in December 2004. "Chris was a rising star. He was a warm and modest young man with a wicked sense of fun. He was mature and level headed and all these qualities marked him out as a particularly effective policeman.

[ Christopher Read ]

 Chris was also a brave soldier, always volunteering to be in the thick of it; he would never shrink from danger. "Chris was hugely popular and he leaves behind some very close friends, all of whom were able to comfort him during his last few hours. 158 Provost Company remains unbowed and determined but keenly feels the loss of this outstanding military policeman. Chris leaves a loving and supporting mother and father, and extended family, and our heartfelt sympathy goes out to them at this difficult time."

Major Jan Waring, Officer Commanding 158 Provost Company, 3rd Regiment Royal Military Police, paid the following tribute to Corporal Read: "Corporal Chris Read was a truly dedicated and professional soldier. He had enormous talent – bright, boundless energy and enthusiasm, sincerity and compassion – all of these outstanding qualities, but most importantly he always had time for a smile and chat for everyone he met. Chris truly loved the Army life and was a keen soldier and policeman. He loved to be out on the ground, participating in the more demanding tasks and in the more dangerous situations. Chris would be calm, reassuring and focused on his role; he thrived on challenges and was developing into a very good junior leader. Chris was a real gem to have around; he would always look after his mates and would certainly be at the centre of any fun. For Chris life was for the living and he lived life to the full.  "Chris was a modest young man, immensely loyal and uncomplicated. He took every day in his stride and saw everything as an opportunity. He was engaging, thoughtful, and had such a cheerful disposition that he would instantly make people smile. Chris was also known for his love of cars and his sometimes poor taste in DVDs – he intended to buy a Ford Cosworth on his return home so he could impress any female friends, although his love of 'Only Fools and Horses' may well have put them off.  "Chris was a much loved and deeply respected member of the Company. He had selfless commitment and was never happier than when he was helping his friends. He was a wonderful and inspiring young man who excelled in everything he did and lived by the Corps motto Exemplo Ducemus: 'By Example We Lead'. Above all, he will always be remembered for having a constant smile on his face and a real love for life. His death has saddened the Company immensely but as we pull together we will remain strong as one, and our cherished thoughts and memories of Chris will comfort us during this difficult time. It has been a true privilege and honour for us all to have known and share part of our lives with Chris; his loss has left a pain in all our hearts but will be nothing to that of his family whose loss must be inconsolable. He will be fondly remembered and we will honour his example and his life."

Corporal Read's former Platoon Commander, Lieutenant Paul Crane, remembered spending time on a regimental exercise with him:

[ Corporal Chris Read  ]

"With Chris's passion for all things fast we took an hour out of the exercise to tear up Salisbury Plain in our Land Rover after it had just rained. His skill at the wheel was matched by his enthusiasm for vehicles and he managed the Platoon's fleet with pride and professionalism. "On exercise working as the Platoon Commander's driver Chris longed to be back in the section, it was working with his friends everyday that I believe gave him that infectious smile – on no occasion can I recall seeing him without a beaming smile. "His good humoured nature and sheer gentleness will be what I remember about Chris most, even when it hurts I hope to smile every time his name is mentioned."

Memories of Chris ‘Longtooth’ Read - by his current Platoon Commander, Lieutenant Dave Wilton: "As a Platoon Commander you could not wish for a better Junior Non-Commissioned Officer to be under your command; Corporal Read had the work hard/play hard ethic and showed this in everything he took part in. I had the privilege of deploying to Iraq on OP TELIC 10 with Chris, who was a member of the Platoon's 'strike' section. He started his tour with a short stint based in Umm Qasr where he took part in an operation which recovered a large amount of Anti-Multi National Forces paraphernalia. On returning to Basra and being reunited with the platoon, it was obvious that this is where Chris wanted to be, amongst friends and colleagues. No matter what was asked of him, Chris would never complain, not only would he complete his task but he would do it to perfection. Very keen to get out on the ground Chris would volunteer for almost every operation. Losing a Junior Non-Commissioned Officer like Chris in these circumstances is devastating and the effect that it has had on the Company and the Platoon in particular, is overwhelming. Such a loved and trusted character; he will be truly missed. "Finding words to describe exactly how Chris has touched your life is difficult, whatever is said or put down in words could never do Chris justice. I can only pass on thoughts that I have experienced over the last 48 hours while sitting by Chris's side. Times like this make you think, you can never fully appreciate something until it is taken from you. Every one has their own thoughts and ways of remembering Chris. "Just hours before getting on the coach to RAF Brize Norton, Chris and myself went to Pizza Hut together alone, chatted about life and what we were looking forward to when we returned home. He gave me a massive insight into his life. He was looking to extend his posting at Bulford to be close to his mother. His main love was motor cars and rallying and would always be found talking about the car he was buying when he returned to the UK. Chris was such an easy person to get on with, he seemed to hang on your every word, and loved to be part of the gang. He was at his best when amongst friends, and I have never heard a bad word said about him. Loved and respected by everyone, Chris has now gone to a better place. I know he leaves behind a large extended family and I can only guess that he has brought them even more happiness and fond memories than he has brought me and everyone he has worked with. Chris will not be forgotten and is truly missed and I send my love to all his family and friends back in the UK." One of Corporal Read's friends, Corporal Barry 'Baz' Key, wrote a poem in memory of him: Chris Read – A Friend Chris recently told me with his signature smile on his face that his civilian friends thought he was mad,  Who am I to disagree, as my opinion of him was the same they had. An unhealthy fascination with all things mechanical defined Chris's character – A young man obsessed with fast cars is what I will always remember. The last words I spoke to Chris were 'You take care of yourself tonight' – I remember saying them clearly as he was drawing his weapon appearing larger than life in the Basrah daylight. My thoughts are now with his family and those close to him – For I am a religious man myself but can't help feeling that God's decision to take him so early - is a sin. Corporal James McIntyre said of Corporal Read: "Chris, who I know as 'Readie', will always be remembered for his love of modified cars; he loved everything about them including the cruising culture. He was often seen driving around various locations in the Bulford area, in his not to everyone's taste, in your face, modified cars, which he loved. However this was always to everyone's enjoyment, whether it be for 'Cool look at that car' or 'God what is Readie driving now?'. "He was planning on buying his ultimate dream car, a Sierra Cosworth, on return from this tour. Something he often talked about and always got really excited over. A dream unfortunately he will now never live out. "Readie was a gentle giant, who would never have hurt a fly and would always do anything for anyone. He was a well liked member of Strike section and a big part of our family. I often used to lie in my room watching TV, listening to Readie's Frank Sinatra music being played from the room next door and him singing along at the top of his voice. Corporal Bruce Astell and I used to joke to each other that he was serenading his room mate. Nearly every day Corporal Bruce Astell and I used to joke with him to stop serenading Corporal Harris, as he is not falling for his charms; he used to just laugh at us and told us that he would keep trying. This was typical of Readie's sense of humour. "Readie will be gratefully missed and will always be remembered."