Royal Army Medical Corps

Lance Corporal Dennis Brady killed in Iraq on Sunday 1 October 2006.

Lance Corporal Brady, 37, a Royal Army Medical Corps Regular Reservist attached to the 1st Battalion the Light Infantry, died as a result of wounds received from a mortar round fired at his base in northern Basra on the afternoon of Sunday, 1 October 2006. Lance Corporal Dennis Brady was born on 19 September 1969 and grew-up in Barrow-in-Furness. He was serving in Iraq as a reservist having left the Regular Army in 2004.  During his time in the Regular Army he served abroad on operational tours of Kosovo and was part of the combat phase of Operation TELIC in Iraq in 2003. He was an energetic soldier who volunteered for and passed 'P' Company, the airborne forces arduous selection course. He also trained as an Army Physical Training Instructor, a role he relished.  He left the Army to pursue a career in public service and, after some time in the Fire Service, he volunteered to return to the military, deploying to Afghanistan with the Royal Gurkha Rifles, and then, a few months later, to Iraq with the Light Infantry. This was his fourth operational tour. 'Den', as he was universally known, was a consummate professional dedicated to the service of others, regardless of the operational situation. In Afghanistan he served as a Team Medic to an eight man Gurkha team, spending long periods in the mountains and desert. During this time he is remembered for winning the absolute trust and admiration of the Gurkhas he served with, a rare accolade for a British soldier.  He then deployed to Iraq as the Company Medic for D Company, forming an instant bond with the Company and providing invaluable medical assistance. He was well known for being an ever-cheerful member of the Company Commander's vehicle crew, always demonstrating the highest possible personal standards.  Two nights before his death he deployed as a Team Medic on a successful patrol that surprised insurgents preparing to launch a rocket attack on his base. His participation in this, as in all things, was wholehearted, enthusiastic and professional. A keen patron of the Company gym, he maintained an admirable level of fitness despite the heat of the Iraqi summer. He was a key figure in both the Medical Centre and the Company, and was renowned for his willingness to get the kettle on and make the 'brews'.

Lance Corporal Dennis Brady  He was married to Zoe and was looking forward to returning to Barrow-in-Furness and the opportunities and challenges of civilian life. His Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Johnny Bowron, said: "It is with the deepest regret that I have to announce the death of Lance Corporal Dennis Brady. In the relatively short time he had been with us he had become a full and trusted member of the Battalion, admired by all he met and with that rare gift of universal popularity.  "He will be remembered for his calm and unflappable nature whatever the circumstance. This approach, coupled with a high level of medical competence, allowed the soldiers of D Company to carry out their duties secure in the knowledge that if the worst was to happen they were in safe hands. His loss will be keenly felt, and the Battalion has lost a trusted member and a real friend. "Lance Corporal Brady was armed with a dry sense of humour, and was always ready with a barrage of friendly banter, as well as always being prepared to offer brutally honest advice regardless of the recipient's rank – advice that was nearly always correct. This slightly gruff exterior masked a deep concern for his fellow soldiers and an abiding loyalty to his adopted military home. He had a real and positive impact on those with whom he worked and his passing will leave a gap in all our hearts."

Corporal Kris O’Neill, killed in Iraq 6th April 2007, aged 27, of the Royal Army Medical Corps, was a committed soldier who had worked hard to recover from a knee injury in order to deploy to Iraq. From Catterick, he arrived in Iraq in January 2007 to serve with the Close Support Medical Squadron which is part of the UK Medical Group based at the Contingency Operating Base, Basra.

[ Cpl O’Neill ]

[ Colleagues carry the coffins of Second Lieutenant Joanna Yorke Dyer, Corporal Kris O’Neill, Private Eleanor Dlugosz and Kingsman Adam James Smith towards the waiting aircraft where a service then takes place before they are carried onto the aircraft for their final journey home  ]

An experienced and confident medic, with an unflappable nature, Cpl O’Neill was a trusted member of the squadron who could be relied upon to always strive to deliver his best. Even when officially off-duty he would make sure that his soldiers had everything they needed, and as such he would  often work long hours behind the scenes to ensure this.  As a future senior NCO Cpl O’Neill made great efforts to mentor those who were junior to him, taking time to teach and develop their skills, whilst also ensuring their welfare needs were always met. A committed family man with two small boys, those who knew him were always struck by his kind and  gentle nature.

Cpl O’Neill had recently been tasked with teaching First Aid to the Iraqi Police Service. This was something that he readily threw himself into and gained a great deal of satisfaction from. He was the sort of man who valued helping others and enjoyed his role as a military medic, greatly. His friend and colleague Cpl Martin Blaker-Hood said: "Kris was pleasant, hard working and very well respected. He loved his family and was a really good bloke. His death is a big loss." Another friend Cpl Dennis Read added: "Kris was an extremely well liked individual in and out of work. His commitment to his job, the soldiers and the equipment he was responsible for, was second to none. Each day working alongside him was a pleasure and a privilege." His Squadron Commander, Major Phil Carter RAMC, said: "I could always depend on Cpl O’Neill. Whatever he was doing he would give it 110% and make sure it was right. He was dedicated to ensuring that the soldiers we support receive the best possible medical care and his death is a tragedy."  Cpl O’Neill's Commanding Officer, Lt Col Martin Toney, said:  "Cpl O’Neill was a reflective and utterly dependable soldier who used his maturity and common sense to great effect, becoming the squadron’s "safe pair of hands". He would turn his hand to all sorts of things, including helping to rebuild Iraq by training the police service, and was a key player in the  unit. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, especially his wife and children, at this hugely difficult time."

[ Pte Dlugosz, ‘Ella’ ]

[ The coffin of Private Eleanor Dlugosz is carried by friends and colleagues at the sunset repatriation ceremony at Basra Air Station in Iraq ]

Eleanor, being carried to the plane for returning to UK 


Eleanor, being carried to the Church


Private Eleanor Dlugosz, killed in Iraq 6th April 2007, aged 19, of the Royal Army Medical Corps, was providing medical support to a Warrior patrol from 2nd Battalion Duke of Lancaster's Battle Group when she was killed. Based in Catterick, North Yorkshire, Pte Dlugosz, ‘Ella’ to some and ‘DZ’ to everyone else, deployed to Iraq in November 2006 and initially provided primary healthcare at Shaibah Logistic Base. Pte Dlugosz, from Southampton, then returned to the UK in January this year in order to complete her Class 1 Medics Course. After completing the course, which she really enjoyed, she returned to Iraq in March.

As a Class 1 Medic, she was tasked with accompanying patrols into Basra, providing the patrols with integral medical support. Pte Dlugosz quickly gained the respect of the infantry soldiers she patrolled with, and was held in high regard by all who knew her. A strong, bright and capable young  woman, she had aspirations to complete her A-levels and train as a medical laboratory technician. A naturally unassuming and quiet individual, Pte Dlugosz was a central part of the Close Support Medical Squadron and enjoyed the challenge of being a military medic, patrolling with her infantry colleagues in Basra.

One of her friends and colleagues, Pte Stella Lee, said: "Ella was a caring girl who enjoyed being a medic. Helping others before herself was who she was. She brightened up everybody’s day with her cheesy smile. She was a privilege to work with and know and she will always be in our hearts." Another of her friends, Pte Tom Hammond, who has served with Pte Dlugosz since basic training, said: "Ella always wore a smile that would brighten anyone’s day. She befriended everyone she met. Apart from her family and friends, her real passion was for horses. She will be sorely missed by everyone." Her Troop Commander, 2Lt Vinny Ramshaw RAMC, said: "Pte Dlugosz was a strong and morally courageous young woman, who was an example to many older and more experienced soldiers. Supremely dedicated to her work, she thoroughly enjoyed her soldiering and was keen to use her life-saving skills as a medic to help others." Her Squadron Commander, Major Phil Carter RAMC, said: "I admired Pte Dlugosz for her enthusiasm and zest for life. She was a good medic and wanted to make a difference. The whole squadron will miss her." Her Commanding Officer, Lt Col Martin Toney, added: "DZ was one of those soldiers who, despite a degree of shyness and a natural reticence, always surprised with her guts and determination. She returned to Iraq as a Class 1 Medic and almost immediately began patrolling in the city, first from Basra Palace and then latterly from the Contingency Operating Base. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends. She had such promise and her sudden death is a sad loss to all."