Royal Fleet Auxiliary Sir Galahad Royal Fleet Auxiliary Sir Tristram

RFA SIR GALAHAD International Waters Falklands Conflict  RFA SIR GALAHAD was one of the hardworking and versatile RFA LSL's (Landing Ship Logistics). On May 21st RFA SIR GALAHAD with other vessels was anchored in San Carlos Bay where she came under heavy and sustained enemy air attack. On the 8 June having left St Carlos bay and anchored off Fitzroy Settlement she came under further aircraft attack. The resulting explosions caused devastating fire and the ship was abandon. Of her mixed merchant and Royal Navy crew and troops of the Welsh Guards, 50 men were lost and many wounded.

25th June Friday Royal Fleet Auxiliary Sir Galahad scuttled at sea as a War Grave.



8th June 1982 RFAs Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram bombed at Fitzroy.

RFA Sir Galahad 8th June 1982 Killed in Action: 3rd EO C F Hailwood. 2nd EO P A Henry GM. 3rd EO A J Morris. Elec Fit Leung C. Butcher Sung Y F.

RFA Sir Tristram:  Seaman Yeung S K. Bosun Yu S C.

1st Bn Welsh Guards

Forward by WO1 Garrison Sergeant Major W.D.G. Mott OBE, Welsh Guards. Garrison Sergeant Major London District  Since the formation of Welsh Guards Reunited the Website has gone from strength to strength ... Read more Welsh Guards Reunited Or Contact the Webmaster ... Mike Cummins

 L/Cpl A Burke.

L/Sgt J R Carlyle.

Gmn R G Thomas.

L/Cpl S J Newbury.

Gmn I A Dale. Gmn M J Dunphy.

Gmn P Edwards.

Sgt C Elley.

Gmn Mark Gibby.

The photo was taken at Marks wedding in Aug. 1981.

The second photo this was taken on May the 10th 1982. Mark holding his daughter Katie who was 4 months old at the time. Two days later Mark sailed for the Falkland Islands onboard the QE2

Gmn M Gibby

Mark holding his daughter Katie who was 4 months old at the time. Two days later Mark sailed for the Falkland Islands onboard the QE2

Gmn G C Grace.

Gmn P Green.

Paul Green 21st January, 1961 - 8th June, 1982. Was killed when the Sir Galahad was hit. He joined the Welsh Guards to have a bit of fun, but in 1982 he was aboard the QE2 sailing for the South Atlantic. His brother, Michael, also sailed with him. Mike was seconded to the Scots Guards and saw service on Mt Tumbledown, just outside Stanley. Paul stayed with the Sir Galahad and sailed round to Fitzroy and Bluff Cove to form part of a ground force approaching Stanley from the south.

Click here for more information about Paul's Mum's guest house

In 1990, I met Ann Reid, Paul's mum, who was, by then, running the Sparrowhawk House Hotel. She had travelled down to the Islands in 1983 and stayed. The people I was working with had said they wanted to have a cheese and wine party at the Memorials at Fitzroy, so I asked Ann if that would be all right. She reckoned the lads would appreciate a party at their memorial. Ann became a good friend from then on.  Paul's death had a profound effect on more than the lives of his immediate family. To me, his death is symbolic of any death in war or conflict - I am fortunate enough to have someone on whom I can focus. Had it not been for the deaths of so many on and around the Falkland Islands in 1982, Carol and I would never have met; Ann would never have realised what she has achieved in her life - in short, so many other lives have been similarly affected by what happened 20 years ago.  I am sure that Paul is happy now, wherever he is and that his short life and untimely death has had some meaning Phil Ovenden (Carol Green's partner) email Carol

Gmn G M Griffiths.

[ Guardsman Gareth Grffiths ]

Gmn D N Hughes.

Gmn G Hughes.

Gmn B Jasper. Gmn A Keeble. L/Sgt K Keoghane. Gmn M J Marks.

Gmn C Mordecai.

Gmn G D Nicholson.

Gmn C C Parsons.

Gmn E J Phillips.

Gmn G W Poole.

Gmn N A Rowberry. L/Cpl P A Sweet. Gmn G K Thomas. L/Cpl N D M Thomas.

Gmn A Walker.

L/Cpl C F Ward. Gmn J F Weaver. Sgt M Wigley.

Gmn D R Williams.

David, known as "Dei" to all who knew him was born in Bangor, North Wales on the 30th December 1961. The son of John Owen Williams and Eluned Williams and brother to John Elfed, Eirlys Wyn, Nesta Ann and Arwel Bryn.  The family home was and continues to be in Holyhead, Anglesey. His father, John Owen was an Ex Army man who served in Burma during the war. He hailed from a small Anglesey village called " Marianglas" and work on the Railway out of Holyhead until his retirement in 1990. He died in 1998 after a short illness. Dei had the calmness of his father and inherited his fathers love of bikes and, later in life, motor bikes.  His mother, Eluned came from a farming village in the north of Anglesey called "Llanfechell". From his mother Dei inherited his stocky build and dark smouldering looks. Dei, like his mother, was very fond of music, especially Elvis Presley. 

David Williams

Dei was brought up in the traditional Welsh speaking Methodist environment. The children were very close being aged only a year apart, except for Arwel who arrived on the seen in the 1970s. The eldest, John Elfed, served in the Royal Welch Fusiliers for 13 years. He has three children, Elfed, Loretta and Aneria and lives and works in Salisbury. The eldest sister, Eirlys (now Jones), is married and lives and works in Llandudno, North Wales. Nesta, (now Edwards), still lives in the Holyhead area and is married with two sons, Aaron & Dafydd Emyr, Dafydd being Welsh for David in memory of Dei. Arwel also lives and works in the Holyhead area. Like his brothers and sisters, Dei attended Holyhead Secondary School. Although more practically minded than academic, Dei knew exactly what he wanted to do in his life and that, like his father and brother before him, was join the army. Dei signed up at the Bangor recruiting Office and joined the Welsh Guards stationed in Pirbright, Surrey. Dei passed out in 1977 and served tours of duty in Northern Ireland & Kenya. In 1982 Dei set sail for the Falkland Islands on board the QE2 out of Southampton. Although the horrors of war were a haunting presence in the family's minds, these were not a factor to Dei in this adventure to the other side of the world. Dei landed at St Carlos Water and took his place in the Battle for the Falkland Islands.  On the 8th June 1982, the fleet auxiliary support ship "Sir Galahad" anchored at Bluff Cove, was attacked by Argentinean aircraft. Dei was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. At home, the Falklands conflict was the main subject of news and interest. An exciting glimpse of history being made before our eyes. The reality of war was brought vividly home with the news of Dei's death.  For many weeks after, hope sprang eternal that he was marooned somewhere off the coast of Bluff Cove, lost in the chaotic escape from the burning ship. However as time went by and the war ended, the realisation that Dei was gone sunk in.  The Victory was complete and the servicemen returned, but Dei and his other comrades who died on that fateful day in June of 1982 were left with dignity in there sea grave of the Sir Galahad. Many tributes were paid to Dei and his comrades who gave their lives for the service of queen and country. Dei's parents visited the Falkland Islands in 1983 with other bereaved families. The memories of this visit helped Dei's father and mother enormously in the subsequent years. The people of Anglesey, Holyhead in particular, raised funds to erect a memorial in his memory. The memorial, which stands on the East Coast of Holy Island at Penrhos, looks out over Beddmanarch Bay, which separates Holy Island from Anglesey. Many people have commented on the similarity of this landscape to that of the Falkland Islands. Penrhos and the memorial have provided great solace and a focus for the family and Dei's friends. The Welsh Guards Flag is hoisted over the memorial on Dei's Birthday, the 8th June and on Remembrance Sunday.

Time marches on but Dei remains young, as those who knew him grow old. New generations are born who never knew him, but know of him, and who stand proud of him,  for his name lives forever more.

L/Cpl Christopher C. Thomas. 1st Battalion the Welsh Guards Killed 13th June 1982 During the Falkland Islands war, Christopher was killed during a mortar attack while delivering supplies to the local population on the island. 

Army Catering Corps: L/Cpl B C Bullers. L/Cpl C C Thomas. Pte A M Connett. Pte M A Jones.

Pte R W Middlewick.

Royal Army Medical Corps:  L/Cpl I R Farrell. Major R Nutbeem. Pte K Preston.

Royal Engineers:  Cpl A G McIllvenny.

Spr W D Tarbard.

Wayne was the first son of David and Jocelyn Tarbard. Born on 6th January 1963 in Burton on Trent, the second child of five children - Sharon, Karl, Maxine and Kirsty. Wayne attended primary school in Hilton, followed by a secondary education at Hatton School. Here he began to develop a yearning for a career in the Armed Forces. He was a keen sportsman, playing for a local football team with aspirations of playing for Liverpool, his favourite club, and he was also a member of the Marston Church choir (though not renowned for his singing voice!). Wayne was always interested in people around him and the part time pocket money jobs he undertook reflected his interest in the village and the surrounding community - a Butchers lad for the local butcher, paper rounds and a variety of jobs at the Hilcrete Company. However his long-term career path was to join the Army and work towards a trade. To this end he enlisted at The Royal Engineers Apprentice College in Chepstow at 16 and a half years of age. After completing his training he qualified as an Engineer and was posted to Maidstone in Kent to 36 Royal Engineers Regiment. He made many friends most of whom came home every weekend and made use of the hospitality offered by his family and friends. Fried egg sandwiches were definitely the order of the day! In April 1982 Wayne received the news that 36 Engineer Regiment were to be deployed on Operation Corporate (The Falkland Islands)- the squadron became part of 4 Troop 9 Para Squadron. With his colleagues he sailed on the QE2 to the South Atlantic, destination South Georgia. The Squadron was then transferred to a smaller vessel to reach San Carlos Bay. On the 7th June 1982 Wayne's Squadron was aboard HMS Fearless alongside the Welsh Guards in order to undertake a frontal assault on Port Stanley. This mission was aborted due to bad weather conditions. The men were dropped off on land and picked up by the Sir Galahad. On the 8th June 1982 the Sir Galahad was lying off Fitzroy Bay when it was bombed by Argentine aircraft. Wayne was listed as missing in action. The Sir Galahad was later scuttled as a war grave in Falklands Water. Wayne's South Atlantic Medal can be seen in the Royal Engineers Museum in Chatham, Kent.

In his remembrance his family have funded a Rose Bowl which is presented annually to the top Sapper on the Cadre course at 36 Engineer Regiment, Maidstone, Kent. A member of Wayne's family has under taken this presentation since it's inauguration in 1983.

Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers:  Craftsman M W Rollins. L/Cpl A R Streatfield.