The Battle of Mount Longdon, on 11–12 June 1982 near the end of the Falklands War, was fought between the British Third Battalion, of the Parachute Regiment and elements of the Argentine 7th Infantry Regiment, one of three engagements in a Brigade-size operation that night, along with the Battle of Mount Harriet and the Battle of Two Sisters. A mixture of hand-to-hand fighting and ranged combat resulted in the British occupying this key position around the Argentine garrison at Port Stanley.

The battle lasted twelve hours and had been costly to both sides. 3 PARA lost seventeen killed during the battle; one Royal Engineer attached to 3 PARA also died. Two of the 3 PARA dead – Privates Ian Scrivens and Jason Burt – were only seventeen years old, and Private Neil Grose was killed on his 18th birthday. Forty British paratroopers were wounded. A further four Paras and one REME craftsman were killed and seven Paratroopers were wounded in the following two-day shelling that followed, which was directed by Sub-Lieutenant Marcelo de Marco of the 5th Marines on Tumbledown Mountain. Several Paras were also wounded by the counter-fire directed by the Argentine Forward Artillery Observation Officer (Major Guillermo Nani) on Wireless Ridge on the night of 13–14 June.[57] Another eight Paras had been wounded in an earlier Friendly fire incident.[58] A Royal Marine Commando Sapper (Sergeant Peter Thorpe) was also wounded on the western lower slopes of Mount Longdon in the daylight hours of 12 June, when he was sent forward to assist members of an artillery battery trapped inside a disabled Snowcat tracked vehicle that had run into a minefield.[5] The Argentines suffered 31 dead,[6] 120 wounded, and 50 taken prisoner.

Lance-Corporal Vincent Bramley was patrolling the western half of Mount Longdon when he was confronted with the full horror of the night combat. The 3 PARA NCO and keen writer stumbled upon the bodies of five Paratroopers killed by Neirotti’s 3rd Platoon.[59]

A few bullets whizzed overhead and smashed into the rocks. A corporal shouted that Tumbledown was firing at us. We ran into a tight gap in the path [and] came to an abrupt halt, as it was a dead end. Four or five bodies lay sprawled there, close together. This time they were our own men: the camouflaged Para smocks hit my eyes immediately. CSM [Company-Sergeant-Major] Weeks was standing over them like a guardian, screaming at some of his men to cover the further end of the path and a small crest. The CSM and Sergeant P [Pettinger] exchanged quick words. I wasn’t listening; my mind was totally occupied with looking into the crags for the enemy. I turned and looked at our own lads, dead on the ground, mowed down when they tried to rush through this gap. I felt both anger and sadness. The CSM’s face showed the strain of having seen most of his company either wounded or shot dead. That night’s fighting was written in every line of his face.[60]